PSNA Mission Statement
November 20, 2016
The Panel on Peace and Security of Northeast Asia (PSNA) is established in November 2016 and is an independent group of experts from various countries especially from countries in Northeast Asia and those countries which have close relations with the security situation in the region. Its primary mission is to facilitate political processes, through timely policy recommendations and public engagement, to create a Nuclear Weapons Free Zone in Northeast Asia (NEA-NWFZ) as part of establishing peace and security in the region. It also provides venue for frank exchange of opinions among experts involving policy makers, academics and civil society.
In order to achieve the above mission, the Panel holds a series of workshops, as necessary, which will involve experts as well as diplomats and officials from the region and relevant countries and international organizations. It is our intention that this series of workshops will become an effective “Track 2” process in the NEA region. The Panel will collaborate and coordinate with other similar activities in the region and the world, such as “Ulaanbaatar Process” and Pugwash community activities in Northeast Asia, as well as the U.N. process to negotiate a legally-binding instrument to prohibit nuclear weapons globally. This whole process, aiming at promoting peace and security of Northeast Asia through establishment of a NEA-NWFZ, is called “Nagasaki Process”.
Individuals or a group of researchers (“Working Group”) appointed by the Panel will conduct independent research and analysis for the Panel. Research Papers can be published separately from the policy recommendations.
The Panel plans to continue its activities for the initial period of five years, and can extend the activities by agreement. Initially, Research Center for Nuclear Weapons Abolition, Nagasaki University (RECNA) will provide administrative and research support for the Panel.
- 2017-10-02 Summary of the 2nd Meeting of PSNA
- 2017-04-28 2nd Meeting of “Panel on Peace and Security of Northeast Asia (PSNA)”
- 2017-03-30 1st Meeting of “Panel on Peace and Security of Northeast Asia (PSNA)”
- 2017-07-06 【Jun. 25, 2017】Statement and Recommendations by the Co-Chairs of the Panel on Peace and Security of Northeast Asia (PSNA)
- 2017-03-30 【Nov. 20, 2016】Statement and Recommendation by the Co-Chairs on behalf of Panel on Peace and Security of Northeast Asia (PSNA)
- 2017-03-30 Nagasaki Process Framework Document